Happy New Year and a Repaired Hand Hooked Rug



As the year winds down and we prepare for a new one, it is with gratitude that we reflect on what we do and love.   So much of what we have and accumulate is disposable - meant only to fill a temporary need or temporarily fill a permanent need.  What I personally love about my job, about this great craft that I have both inherited and nurtured, is that it allows for permanence.  When something is made with love and care, by the virtue of one's own hands, it is timeless and forever.  As decades pass by, it might need some care, with an occasional repair, but the essence of it will be with us forever.

I am so grateful to spend my days marveling at the craftsmanship of artists from other generations and preserving their work so that future generations can enjoy it.  So much of what I do - of what anyone who enjoys this craft does - can seem minute to the occasional observer.  After all, we spend hours, sometimes weeks and months, focused on mere inches of someone else's creation.  But I've never felt that way.  It makes me acutely aware of the space I occupy in the time continuum of life, and perhaps because of this, grateful for the moment that I am enjoying.  At least I try to be.  As 2017 begins, I am grateful for the ability to do what I love and hope that the future brings us all health, peace, and happiness.



Above:  A section of a restored hand hooked rug

www.traditionalrugrepair.com